And the rush begins


Beechworth

The first official report of gold discovery in the Beechworth area was by prospectors Baker and Strickland on 3 August 1852, about 100 metres from the Newtown Bridge along the Spring Creek.

By September 1852 there were 45 people prospecting for gold; by November 1500 people on the diggings and by January 1853, 8000 had arrived.

Eventually more than 30,000 people flocked to the diggings which expanded in every direction with each new find - the hills above Beechworth around Stanley, to the west following Reid's Creek toward Chiltern and Rutherglen, known as the Indigo Goldfields, to the north to Wooragee and Yackandandah and beyond to Allans Flat and Sandy Creek.

Maps

Indigo_gold_trail_map_thumb_rotated.png