Dredging up the last of the treasure


Eldorado

Gold was found here in the 1850s, and the Eldorado Post Office opened on 1 August 1861.

The name refers to El Dorado, an ancient Colombian tribal chief whose initiation saw him covered in gold dust and dive into a highland lake. Later it became the name of a legendary Lost City of Gold that has lured explorers since the days of the Spanish Conquistadors.

Eldorado's legacy is Cock's Eldorado Dredge, one of only two complete bucket dredges in Victoria and the largest, most intact gold dredge in Australia.

Between 1936 and 1954, when it closed, if produced more than 70,000 ounces of gold and 1.4 tonnes of tin concentrates. It represents one of the final chapters in the gold story of the North East.